Teeth Whitening – Beverly, MA
A Quicker Way To Smile Like The Stars
Stains and discoloration can leave you hiding among the crowd. When all you see is yellowed teeth staring back at you in the mirror, it’s normal to want a solution that will quickly brighten and transform your smile. It’s possible with teeth whitening! At Beverly Farms Dental, our team of dental professionals offers this unique solution to help you achieve a more beautiful smile. If you’re ready to take the first step in taking your smile from dull to dazzling, call us to schedule a consultation!
Anatomy of the Tooth
When preparing to have your teeth whitened, it’s important that you understand the anatomy of your teeth, so you know exactly how the whitening occurs. Your teeth have several layers, and it’s easy for those layers to become discolored over time.
Your outermost layer is the enamel, which has various pores that easily absorb stain-causing foods and drinks such as coffee, tea, red wine, berries, and even cigarettes. Your innermost layer is the dentin, which is more likely to become yellow in color. This is a natural occurrence, but it can also be caused by medication or excessive amounts of fluoride.
How Teeth Become Stained Over Time
If stains appear on the enamel of your tooth, it is most likely due to:
- Colorful fruits
If the stains appear on the inner layer of your tooth, the dentin, it can cause your teeth to become yellow. This can be the result of:
- Too much exposure to fluoride in early childhood
- Certain antibiotics and medications
- Trauma to a permanent tooth and internal bleeding occurred
- Being born with dentinogenesis imperfecta, a rare condition that causes your teeth to become gray or purple.
Additionally, age is a factor when considering how teeth become stained over time. The dentin layer of your teeth will naturally become yellow, but as enamel thins over time, it can cause the dentin layer to show through.
How Teeth Whitening Works
An at-home whitening kit provided by our office is a safe and effective way to whiten your teeth. Considered a form of cosmetic dentistry, your dentist will first examine your smile to ensure you are qualified to receive teeth whitening treatment. Once we’ve established that you can benefit from this type of treatment, you’ll receive a set of custom-made trays that will fit over your teeth. You’ll also receive a professional-strength bleaching gel that will give you the results you desire. Forget about over-the-counter whitening kits! This powerful gel is stronger and more effective than anything you could find at the drug store.
After wearing your trays daily for a little more than a week, you’ll notice your teeth are 6 to 8 shades whiter. The great part about at-home whitening kits is that you can keep and reuse it over the years when you feel you need to give your smile a boost!
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
- It enhances your smile’s appearance
- It’s a more cost-effective approach when considering a smile makeover
- It doesn’t damage your teeth
- You’ll have greater confidence
- You’ll experience faster results than the typical over-the-counter kit
- With customized trays, you’ll be assured a quality treatment
- There is minimal sensitivity if any at all
- It’s a safe and effective way to improve your smile!
Understanding the Cost of Teeth Whitening
Before you go all-in on any dental treatment, certainly you’ll want to be clear on what it’s going to cost. Below, we’ll touch on all the factors that impact the cost of teeth whitening in Beverly. While it can vary from patient to patient, gaining a better understanding of the elements involved will help you know what to expect prior to your smile rejuvenation.
Factors That Affect the Cost of Teeth Whitening
While professional teeth whitening treatment has a preset cost, there are aspects regarding the particular patient that can make it more or less expensive, such as:
- Preparatory treatments: If a patient has cavities or gum disease, these will need to be addressed first. Otherwise, teeth whitening may lead to further problems and may not yield optimal results.
- The degree of discoloration: Severely stained teeth may require multiple treatments for the patient to achieve their desired shade.
- The cause and location of the discoloration: Are your teeth stained due to an age-related issue or a medication you take? Is the staining located on the enamel surface or within your tooth?
Types of Teeth Whitening: What Do They Cost?
- Professional Take-Home Whitening Kit: For this, the dentist creates a customized set of trays and provides professional-strength whitening gel for the patient to use at home. Altogether, it usually costs a few hundred dollars.
- Professional In-Office Whitening: The cost of in-office teeth whitening generally ranges from $400-800.
- Store-Bought Whitening Kit: These trays and gel are available in most grocery stores and pharmacies, and the cost typically spans from $20-100.
- Whitening Strips & Gels: This is easily the cheapest option. Strips in particular usually cost $20-40 for a box that lasts two weeks.
Store-Bought Teeth Whitening vs. Professional Teeth Whitening
If you prioritize cost when you pursue teeth whitening in Beverly, your wallet may appreciate it, but the impact on your smile likely won’t be what you were hoping for. Why is that the case?
For one, the products used by your dentist are several times stronger than anything you can find at the store. This enables your dentist to deliver much better, more noticeable results upon your smile. Also, the exam your dentist performs before proceeding with whitening treatment may be crucial. It could prevent you from accidentally irritating your mouth due to a cavity or infection that snuck under your radar.
While a professional treatment might be more expensive upfront, odds are you’ll end up enjoying your smile more and spending much less cash in the long term because you won’t have to bother with touch-ups every few weeks.
Options for Making Teeth Whitening Affordable
Because teeth whitening is considered an elective procedure, it is very rarely covered by dental insurance. Fortunately, here at Beverly Farms Dental, you don’t have to pay for the treatment entirely upfront. If you need help, you can break up the cost with CareCredit’s low-to-no interest financing. When you contact our office, be sure to let us know if you are interested in utilizing CareCredit, and we’ll help you find a plan to boost your smile without breaking your budget!
Teeth Whitening FAQs
Would you like to learn more about teeth whitening in Beverly? As one of the most popular and cost-effective cosmetic dental treatments that we offer, teeth whitening has countless benefits and advantages. For your convenience, we’ve answered some of the most common questions we receive about the procedure below.
Does teeth whitening work for everyone?
Unfortunately, teeth whitening isn’t always the best cosmetic treatment for everyone who suffers from dental discoloration. Patients who typically don’t make the best candidates are ones who have some of the following features:
- Restorations, such as dental crowns or bridges.
- Oral health problems that need to be treated.
- Oral cancer.
- Tooth discoloration caused by oral health problems.
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding.
The best way to learn whether you’re a good candidate for the procedure is to schedule a consultation. Our team will conduct a thorough examination of your mouth and let you know what type of results you can expect from the treatment.
Can teeth whitening make your teeth sensitive?
Using over-the-counter teeth whitening products that aren’t approved by the ADA can cause your enamel to deteriorate, which results in dental sensitivity. At Beverly Farms Dental, we use professional teeth whitening products that have been tested and proven to be safe for your smile. That means that you won’t have to worry about experiencing harmful side-effects that could cause permanent damage to your oral health.
Does charcoal teeth whitening work?
Activated charcoal teeth whitening has been lining the shelves of oral hygiene aisles in department stores across the country as one of the newest ways to get a brighter smile. The only problem is that it hasn’t been approved by the ADA as a safe whitening method. Although it can whiten your teeth slightly, because it’s an abrasive substance, it can erode the tooth enamel and leave your teeth unprotected. That means that you could be at a higher risk of developing tooth decay. With professional teeth whitening products, you won’t have to worry about taking a gamble on your oral health in order to get a brighter smile.
How long will the results from teeth whitening last?
With the proper oral maintenance, the results from your teeth whitening treatment can last for up to a year. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your investment in a brighter smile:
- Avoid stain-causing foods and beverages
- Maintain good oral hygiene
- Touch-up the results with whitening toothpaste
- Avoid acidic foods and drinks
- For the first 48 hours after your treatment, don’t drink or eat anything that could stain a white t-shirt
- Drink out of a straw whenever possible
If you have any questions or would like additional tips to help keep your teeth white after your procedure, don’t hesitate to call our office and ask!